August 1, 2014

Cooking Up Memories: Introduction

I received a lot of recipes when David and I got married.  My sisters-in-law hosted a shower with family and close friends and had everyone bring recipes with them and then I received a box of recipes from a co-worker and some recipes from a few other friends included in our wedding gifts.  I was so grateful to get all of those, because I really do love to be in the kitchen!  

I realized about a month ago that I've made some of the things I received recipes for, but not nearly enough of them.  These are the favorite recipes of some of my favorite people-so I decided to make a plan to try them all.  I organized them all into different categories and made a list of all of the recipes to easily access... and when I made the list it just so happened that there were 51 recipes.  So it seemed perfect to try to cook through all of them in a year... and what better time to start than right after our 1st anniversary?  So in Year 2 of the Daniels home I will be attempting to cook all of the dishes I received recipes for when we got married.


“No one who cooks, cooks alone. Even at her most solitary, a cook in the kitchen is surrounded by generations of cooks past, the advice and menus of cooks present, the wisdom of cookbook writers.” 
― Laurie Colwin

I was searching through different cooking quotes this afternoon trying to come up with a good title for this series of blog posts.  I really liked the one I found here that talks about the history and wisdom from others in cooking--because I definitely need that!  And then I found a kitchen vinyl wall art that had the family name and said "cooking up memories since ____" So I decided cooking up memories was a good way to summarize these posts.  Looking at the memories I have with each person who gave me a recipe.  Thinking of the memories they have with their families.  And thinking of all the memories our family is making!

I made my first one for the year this past week, so I'll write about it in a separate post.  But for now, I'm looking forward to cooking up lots of memories this coming year--in and out of the kitchen.

A Year Worth of Recipes:
2. Fajita Mix
3. Chicken Pot Pie
4. Sour Cream Enchiladas
5. Magic Cookie Bars
6. Crockpot Cheese Chicken Spaghetti
7. Chicken Parmesan
8. King Ranch Chicken
9. Pumpkin Bread
10. Caramel Apple Cheesecake
11. Guacamole
12. Chicken Marsala
13. Chicken Spaghetti
14. Spaghetti Casserole
15. Monkey Bread
16. 8 can Taco Soup
17. Impossible Pumpkin Pie
18. Sour Cream Coffee Cake
19. Poppy Seed Chicken
20. Cookie Brownie Bars
21. Cranberry Punch
22. Hash Brown Casserole 
23. Alla Panna Sauce
24. No Bake Cookies
25. Hot Applesauce Crisp
26. Sour Cream Pound Cake
27. Lasagna
28. Chicken Taco Soup
29. Poppy Seed Bread
30, Baked Ziti
31. Bruschetta
32. Pesto & Pepperoni French Bread Pizza
33. Incredible Apple Dumplings
34. Italian Creme Cake
35. Grandma Bergstedt's Carrot Cake
36. Creamy Baked Chicken Breasts
37. Cream Cheese Pound Cake
38. Pasta Fagioli
39. Double Chocolate Chip Cake
40. Muffin Tin Rolls
41. One Dish Chicken & Rice Bake
42. Mexican Rice
43. Alfredo Sauce
44. Hashbrown Casserole
45. Ma Harper's Cold Oven Pound Cake
46. Shrimp Appetizer
47. Chicken & Spinach Pasta Bake
48. No-Bake Strawberry Icebox Cake
49. Chocolate Sheet Cake
50. Chicken Salad

1 comment:

erin m said...

So fun! Can't wait to see all the recipes :)