May 11, 2015

Cooking up Memories: Pasta Fagioli

We had a great time celebrating Mothers Day yesterday.  After church we headed to David's parents' house for lunch.  His Nanny was in town, so it was fun getting to spend time with everyone and catch up with family after our trip.  

Last night we had my mom over for dinner.  We are celebrating Mothers Day with my family next weekend by taking my mom to a Rangers game, but we wanted her to still feel a little special yesterday too.  So I invited her over for dinner and she brought my brother Nick along.  I thought Mothers Day would be another perfect time to try out one of my recipes!

My mom really likes Pasta Fagioli and I had a recipe for it that I hadn't made yet, so I told her I'd make that for her.  My sweet husband went to the store for me on Saturday night after we got back in town so he could get all of the ingredients.  It's still pretty hard for me to get around the store with my cast (and I found out today that I'll be in it another 3 weeks!) so I was grateful he made the trip--although I'll probably be back to doing our normal shopping soon!

This recipe is from my friend Sami.  She had given it to me along with recipes for Chicken Marsala and Spaghetti Casserole.  Both of the other dishes were delicious and this one was no exception!  It was a perfect meal for a rainy night.  Easy to put together and full of flavor.  I love all of the Italian recipes Sami gave me!


Pasta Fagioli
*3 tablespoons Olive Oil *Small Onion, chopped *4 cloves Garlic, minced *5.5 cups chicken broth *2 cans diced tomatoes *1 Tablespoon Parsley *1.5 teaspoons Basil *1.5 teaspoons Oregano *1 small can Tomato Sauce *1 small can Tomato Paste *1 teaspoon Salt *2 cans Cannellini Beans *1 lb Ditalini Pasta *1 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes *(optional) 3 cups Chopped Kale {I left this out}
-In a large pot cook onion till translucent.  Stir in garlic cook till tender reduce heat
-Add all other ingredients simmer
-Cook Pasta add to each bowl

~Just a few notes from me--I sent David with a list to the store, but I know it can be hard to find everything, so I stuck with oregano and basil and minced garlic from my spice rack instead of having him find the fresh stuff.  He also brought back 2 cans of Rotel diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro so I used a large can of Crushed Tomatoes instead and it turned out well.  Like I said, I'm so appreciative of him going to the store!  Just wanted to note the changes I made :) 
I also am a whimp, so this dish was too spicy for me.  Everyone else enjoyed it and ate it all and said it was fine, but next time I make it I'll probably skip the red pepper flakes!~



No comments: