October 19, 2014

Cooking Up Memories: Chicken Marsala

We've had a pretty good weekend here.  Friday we got our new flooring installed--so coming this week will be a photo tour of our new house because almost everything is now in place!

I got to enjoy breakfast with Erin and her mom yesterday--it was so fun catching up with Mama Mazur and spending time hanging out.  Then Nicki came over to the house yesterday afternoon.  She was in town for a conference and decided to stop by and see the new house (and us) before heading home to Austin.

So I decided to try out one of the weekly recipes on her.  I figured one of the Italian dishes would be a fun one to make for lunch (since we would most likely be eating around the football game!).  So I decided to try out the Chicken Marsala recipe I got from my my friend Sami.

Sami's husband Jon leads our young adults group at church and I've been blessed to get to the know them both over the last 4 years and really enjoy the times Sami and I get to catch up.  She gave me a few different recipes as part of our wedding gift (along with some fun kitchen things) so I was excited to try one out!


It was actually fairly simple to put together and we all three thought it turned out pretty good!  And even though we ate it while watching Baylor lose their football game, we still had a great time enjoying lunch together


Chicken Marsala (serves 4-6)
*1/4 cup flour *1/2 teaspoon salt *1/4 teaspoon pepper *1/2 teaspoon oregano *4 tablespoons butter & olive oil *16 ounces chopped mushrooms {We are not big mushroom people at our house... so I had an 8 ounce container of mushrooms and I used about 3/4 of it... and I felt like it was the perfect amount!} *1/2 cup Marsala Wine *1/2 Cup Cooking Sherry *4 chicken breasts (pounded to 1/4 inch)
-Mix flour, salt, pepper, and oregano together
-Coat chicken in flour mix
-Melt butter and oil over medium heat.  Add mushrooms saute (add extra dices basil, oregano, garlic salt to taste :)
-Place chicken in pan lightly brown (5-7 minutes on each side)
-Pour in all wine; cover & simmer til all juices are clear
-Serve over any pasta :) {I chose whole wheat linguine}


And since Nicki was in town I made some pumpkin dessert.  I had found this recipe for Pumpkin Magic Bars and since they were a pumpkin version of the Cookie Bars Nicki gave me I had to try it out.  We both thought they were very delicious--a yummy fall afternoon treat!

No comments: