October 4, 2014

Cooking Up Memories: Caramel Apple Cheesecake

We are slowly but surely getting settled in to the house.  We have some repairs starting on Monday, so hopefully once that is done we will be able to finish unpacking and I can finally decorate!  But for now, we are pretty set up with the essentials.  

We had David's parents over tonight to see the house and spend time with them and we were able to enjoy dinner together.  I decided to make a few kinds of enchiladas for us.  I made some like this recipe with ground turkey and enchilada sauce; then I switched a few things around an remade these Sour Cream Enchiladas with chicken instead of beef.  So we had two different kinds of enchiladas with rice (of course I took no pictures!)

I decided to try out one of our dessert recipes for this week to share with them.  I cooked up this Caramel Apple Cheesecake this morning and had it ready to go for an after-dinner treat.  My sweet mother-in-law said it tasted like Fall--which is one of my favorite things.  I love to fill my house with the tastes and scents of fall this time of year and when I saw this recipe I thought it would be a good fall dessert recipe to try.

Caramel Apple Cheesecake
*Large can Apple Pie Filling *9" Graham Cracker Crust *2 packages softened cream cheese *1/2 cup sugar *1/4 teaspoon vanilla *2 eggs *1/4 cup caramel topping
-Mix cream cheese, sugar, vanilla, and eggs.  
-Place 1/4 can pie filling first on pie crust, then add cream cheese filling
-{After reading the instructions I saw this step actually comes much later, so I cooked the cheesecake and let it cool before I did this next part} In a separate pot heat 3/4 can pie filling with 1/4 cup caramel (-set aside)
-Bake then cool at room temperature.
-Top with caramel mix & pecan {I only put pecans on half of the cheesecake because I prefer my desserts without nuts in them}
-Bake 350 30-45 minutes until middle is set {I baked mine for over 50 minutes and I still feel like the middle wasn't completely set}
{After I put the topping on I refrigerated the cheesecake until I served it}

David said he really liked the cheesecake and all of the flavors it had.  I felt like the cheesecake filling wasn't perfect, so I may try a different kind next time but still use the apple and caramel to add to it.  I had a hard time getting the cream cheese mixture to be a good consistency--it still had lots of bits of cream cheese throughout instead of ever getting smooth--I tried adding more sugar and that helped some, but not completely.  I had let the cream cheese sit for a long time so it wasn't too hard for creaming, I just think the mixture wasn't complete.  I've made cheesecakes before with slightly different recipes that seemed to cream much better so I may try something different next time. 

 Overall--it was yummy and we all enjoyed it--it just wasn't my favorite cheesecake.  But still a great Fall dessert--when it's not too cool out so cold desserts are still good :)  And it was a lot of fun having them over for dinner--I'm looking forward to hosting many more meals at our home in the years to come!

No comments: