August 30, 2014

Cooking Up Memories: Magic Cookie Bars

This recipe is from my college roomie and best friend Nicki and in the description she puts they are almost as good as brownies (which is our trademark dessert when we get together) so I was excited to try them!  Nicki and I have lots of memories cooking and baking together during our 2 years in our apartment in Waco.  She is one of the main reasons I love fall as much as I do--she introduced me to decorating for fall and pumpkin spice candles and my world has been completely changed because of that ;)

So in honor of the "last weekend of summer" and the kick off to fall (we can hope right?) I thought I'd make this.  And it worked out perfectly that we were having communion dinner with the Young Adults group, so I have somewhere to share this dessert so I don't end up eating every last bar! 

Magic Cookie Bars
*1/2 cup butter, melted *1.5 cups graham cracker crumbs *1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk *2 cup semisweet chocolate morsels *1 1/3 cups flaked coconut *1 cup chopped nuts
-Heat oven to 350 (325 for glass dish).  Coat 13x9 inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray
-Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter.  Press into bottom of prepared pan.  Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture.  Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut & nuts.  Press down firmly with a fork
-Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned.  Cool.  Cut into bars or diamonds.  Store covered at room temperature. 

 David and I both tried one and really liked them.  We have about half the pan left, so I plan to share the rest with our families who we're seeing later this weekend


No comments: