August 1, 2014

Cooking Up Memories: Carolina Pound Cake

The first recipe I decided to try was Carolina Pound Cake.  My cousin's wife Nila sent this recipe to my shower.  I just love Nila and my cousin Rick and their family.  They live in Georgia, so we don't see them all that often, but we always have a lot of fun with them and their kids when we get together.  

David is not a big fan of any cake, but he does like pound cake (and stay tuned because I actually received 4 pound cake recipes!  So more to come!) so it's nice to have someone to share in the dessert!  And I was taking dinner to a co-worker who just had surgery so it was a perfect thing to split up to take her some dessert and keep a little for ourselves.

I am also trying to figure out this whole taking pictures while I cook thing, so I didn't even get a picture of the finished cake until after I had already cut it into slices!  But David and I both really liked it.  

Aren't these recipe cards so cute?  My sister-in-law sent them out with the shower invitations so I have a whole set of them.

Here's the recipe for Carolina Pound Cake if you want to try it:
Preheat Oven to 300
Ingredients: *1/2 lb of butter (2 sticks) *1/2 Cup Shortening * 3 Cups Sugar *5 Eggs *3 1/4 Cups Flour *1/2 teaspoon baking powder *1/2 teaspoon salt *1 Cup Milk *2 teaspoons vanilla extract *1 teaspoon almond extract
1. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, and baking powder--set aside
2. Creme butter and shortening in large mixing bowl.  Add sugar gradually with eggs (Little sugar, little egg).  Then add combined four, salt, baking powder alternately with milk.  Last add vanilla and almond
3. Pour into well greased and floured bundt pan--Bake 1 hour 25 minutes

**You can top this cake with a mixture of confectioners sugar and water to your taste**
(I skipped the glaze on the cake this time so it would be easier to slice up and transport to my friend!)

I would definitely call recipe #1 a success!

No comments: