May 1, 2015

Cooking up Memories: Cream Cheese Pound Cake

Well I'll just start by saying that this recipe did not work out for me.  I cooked it almost twice as long as the recipe said to and the toothpick and knife I put in came out clean, but once it cooled I tried to get a bite and it seemed like it was not cooked all the way in the middle.  


This is one of many recipes that my old co-worker Becky gave me.  Her recipes tend to have very little direction, so I don't know where this one went wrong--with my oven that takes forever and a day to cook anything or with me mis-interpreting something.  In my 51 recipes, I have 4 recipes for pound cake.  This was the 3rd one I've made and none of them have turned out great, but this one was definitely a recipe fail.

Here's the recipe anyway:
Cream Cheese Pound Cake
*2 boxes pound cake mix *2 sticks melted butter *4 eggs *1 1/3 cup water
-Mix all & pour in greased cake pan
Top with (prior to baking):
*1 box powdered sugar *8 ounces cream cheese *2 eggs
-Bake 325 (50 min) {I baked mine about an hour and 35 minutes and it still didn't cook completely!}

I obviously have not kept up with weekly recipes this month.  After I broke my foot it was hard to get around our house, much less spend lots of time standing in the kitchen to cook or bake.  I've made a few dinners but we've been doing a lot of easy meals.  I also can't drive which makes grocery shopping for special recipes more difficult.  I need to take a dessert to our International Student Bible Study tonight, so I thought I'd try this one out today, but obviously I'll be finding something else to take!

Looks like now I'll probably double up some weeks and make 2 recipes (either for the same meal or 2 different meals) to cook through them all by July.  It was kind of nice having a few weeks of a break, but I'm looking forward to trying the rest!

No comments: