February 20, 2015

Cooking Up Memories: Poppy Seed Bread

I have been really bad about these recipes this month.  We are back in the swing of things with all of commitments and have added a few new things to our plates, so I feel like we're running all the time.  We are really enjoying everything, I just feel like I am doing a horrible job of planning meals and cooking for us.  Which is why I skipped that first week of February and got to late Thursday before I figured out what I was doing for this week.  

In fact at work Thursday morning I was telling my friend that I needed to hurry up and decide on which recipe to make.  Luckily, an opportunity presented itself for baking!  My friend Stephanie and I try to get lunch together once every couple of months and we had to cancel our last one, so we are well overdue for hanging out.  As we were trying to decide where to go, I suggested she come see our house and I would get some breakfast ready for us.  So I figured I'd used one of my bread recipes for part of our breakfast.  David and I ran to the store after teaching our ESL classes on Thursday night and picked up the few ingredients I lacked and then I came home and baked this up so it would be ready for this morning.

Stephanie and I worked together for a few years.  She had been with ECI for several years before I started so she had a big part in a lot of my training.  We got to know each other pretty well and I was grateful for a like minded friend in her.  When she had her second baby almost 4 years ago she left to stay home with her kids--I am so grateful that we have been able to stay in touch for the last 4 years.  Even if our times together are few and far between, we still catch up like no time has passed.  

So this morning we enjoyed Poppy Seed Bread and some Sausage and Cream Cheese Crescent Rolls for breakfast!


Poppy Seed Bread
*2 cups Flour *1 teaspoon Salt *1 teaspoon Baking Powder
-Sift together the above ingredients
*2 eggs *1.5 cups Sugar *3/4 cup Oil *1/4 cup Poppy Seeds *1 teaspoon Vanilla
-Mix together --> Add flour Mix
*1 cup Evaporated Milk
-Mix well with mix
-Pour intro bread pan (greased and floured)
-Bake at 350 for 60 minutes

This bread was pretty easy to mix up and put together.  The top ended up a little too done, so I cut it off before I sliced up the bread.  The remaining slices were very delicious!  This is a nice bread for breakfast or a snack and seems like a perfect thing to whip up for Spring days that are coming!

No comments: