June 16, 2015

Cooking up Memories: Ma Harper's Cold Oven Pound Cake

Well, it seems like 4th times a charm with my pound cake recipes.  As I talked about when I made the Cream Cheese Pound Cake, I was gifted with 4 pound cake recipes and two of the 3 I had made were not great.  Since then I've been given a few other pound cake recipes, but still had to try out this fourth one and it turned out well!

This recipe is from my Aunt Sandy.  She is the oldest of my dad's 4 sisters and she gave me a few different recipes.  I decided to try my hand at this one to take to a Bible Study tonight and I think it turned out pretty well--it's at least cooked all the way through :)


I gathered all the ingredients

 and followed the recipe to a T--including sifting the flour and baking powder

 Then I set my kitchen timer and turned on the oven
A successful loaf!

Ma Harper's Cold Oven Pound Cake
Yields 2 loaves
*3 cups Sugar *3 sticks Butter *1/2 cup Crisco *6 Eggs *3 cups Floud *1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder *1 cup Milk or Cream Cheese or 7 Up {I used milk, but will definitely be interested to try one of these other variations some time!} *1 teaspoon Vanilla *1 teaspoon Almond Flavoring
-Cream butter, sugar, and Crisco until sugar is dissolved
-Add eggs one at a time
-Sift together flour and baking powder
-Add flour and milk alternatively to sugar mixture
-Add flavoring
-Butter and sugar pan
-Place in cold oven
-Turn oven to 325 for 1 1/2 hour

No comments: