June 9, 2015

Cooking up Memories: Hashbrown Casserole

This is my second Hashbrown Casserole recipe for the year.  The first is from my Aunt Carol, my mom's youngest sister.  And this week's is from my Aunt Brenda, my dad's youngest sister.  Both my mom and dad have only sisters-- my mom is one of 3 girls and my dad was the oldest of 5 kids with 4 younger sisters!  I have often commiserated with both my Aunt Carol and my Aunt Brenda about the ups and downs of being the baby of the family.  

My Aunt Brenda and her sister Connie have lived near us most of my life.  When I was younger we lived in neighborhoods across the street from each other and then they moved out to Wylie a little before my mom and I moved out to that area of Garland.  So I have spent lots of time with them.  As the youngest of 5 kids, she is pretty easygoing and one of the kindest people I know!  My memories of cooking with her are often linked to holidays--her helping with Thanksgiving at my grandparents' house and baking goodies with my grandma.  And every year before Christmas she still gets in the kitchen and bakes up all of the treats that my grandma used to make and has them ready for us when we celebrate Christmas together.  


I was looking forward to trying this recipe and decided this past weekend was a good time for it.  I had originally planned to make it for Saturday breakfast, but we ended up planning a big lunch before heading to David's 10 year reunion.  We stayed in on Sunday afternoon and tried out our pool for the first time this season, so after a time of swimming I made this casserole for dinner and it was delicious!

It was very easy to put together and then we watched a movie while it cooked.  I like both of my Hashbrown Casserole recipes and look forward to making them both again!


Hashbrown Casserole
*1 package of Frozen Shredded Hashbrowns *1-16 oz Sour Cream *2- 10 oz cans of cream of potato soup *1 bag of Grated Cheese (2 cups) *1/2 teaspoon of Garlic Salt *Pepper
-Mix ingredients in LARGE container
-Mix sour cream, soup, garlic salt & pepper, mix well.  Gradually add bag of cheese, mix as you are adding.
-Slowly add hashbrowns.  Mixture gets very large, so mix a little bit at a time
-Once this is all mixed together, put in a 13x9 pan (spray with cooking spray first)
-Bake at 350 for 1 hour

Done!


No comments: