December 27, 2014

Cooking Up Memories: Hash Brown Casserole

We had a wonderful Christmas with family.  We spent Christmas Eve with David's parents and sister and had a great day filled with lots of yummy food, giving and receiving gifts, enjoying a movie together, and Christmas Eve service.  Then we spent Christmas Day with my family filled with brunch and games and gifts and a crazy 3 year old who is all in on Christmas fun this year--he loved all of his gifts and had to bring a whole box of his toys from Santa to show us. 

I decided yesterday that after the busyness of this month and week I wanted to spend the day in my pajamas.  I ended up running to grocery store for about an hour to stock up on things for our week at home, but otherwise I was home in my pajamas with David and Lily.  In fact, this picture that David snapped of Lily captures most of our day yesterday

 

Today we don't have big plans either.  We're getting all the leaves cleaned out of our yard and hoping today is a little more productive than yesterday, but still we will mainly be at home.  So I decided it was a perfect day to make one of my breakfast recipes. 



This Hashbrown Casserole recipe is from my Aunt Carol.  My Aunt Carol is my mom's younger sister and I have many times in my life been called Carol when my mom is talking to me--we don't know if she thinks of her sister more as a daughter or me more as a sister, but probably the second one.  My Aunt Carol is one of the sweetest people you would ever meet.  She is very even tempered (even when we were little and she was running a house of 3 little boys!) and kind.  She makes a lot of good meals for her brood of men (my Uncle Jim and her 3 sons Josh, Jake, and Matt) so I knew this one would be a good one for us!  

And it was.  Both David and I really liked this.  It takes a couple of hours to cook, so it's not a quick morning meal, but it is perfect for lazy mornings at home so it can cook while you do other things.  It was easy to put together and very delicious!

Hash Brown Casserole
FYI.. this needs to bake for 2-2.5 hours total
*32 ounces frozen hash browns *1 can Cream of Celery Soup *I can Cheddar Cheese Soup *1 can Milk *1 stick Butter
-Grease 9x13 pan
-Put in Potatoes
-Mix soups and milk together.  Pour over potatoes and mix together
-Slice butter and place it on top
-Bake at 325 for 30 minutes
-Take out and stir in the butter.  Cover with foil and bake for 1.5-2 hours {I baked it for 1 hours 45 minutes}

No comments: