December 24, 2014

At the Name of Jesus

Our church has been going through Isaiah 9:6 this Advent and focusing on the names of Jesus given in this prophecy.  Each week our pastor has focused on a different aspect of Jesus foretold in this passage.  He is the Wonderful Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father and the Prince of Peace.

This year I have been doing a Bible Reading plan through Brook Hills Church that my friend Amy told me about.  You read about 2 chapters a day (usually one OT and one NT) and in 2 years you will read through the OT once and the NT and Psalms twice.  

This December I have been reading through Revelation, which has turned out to be (for me) one of the best "Advent guides" I could have found.  By the time I got to Chapter 2 I was so overwhelmed with all of the ways the Lord is described or named, so I started copying them down.  As I read each morning, if one jumped out at me I would highlight and copy it to a note on my phone.  And it's such a beautiful picture of the One we are anticipating--not only at Christmas, but each day as we wait for His return.  

So I thought I'd share some of the picture that has come together for me.  Unfortunately, I did not copy the verse references as I was highlighting, but it basically goes in order from the first chapter.  We're only to chapter 15 now, so I don't have all of the things I know are coming in the end, but I thought this was a good starting place.

Jesus Christ the faithful witness, the firstborn of the dead, and the ruler of kings on earth
I am the Alpha and the Omega, who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.
Fear not, I am the first and the last, and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

The Letters to the Churches.  Written as the Words of...
...him who holds the seven stars in his right hand, who walks among the seven golden lampstands.
...the first and the last, who died and came to life.
....him who has the sharp two-edged sword
...the Son of God, who has eyes like a flame of fire, and whose feet are like burnished bronze.
...him who has the seven spirits of God and the seven stars
...the holy one, the true one, who has the key of David, who opens and no one will shut, who shuts and no one opens
...the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of God's creation.

the Lion of the tribe of Judah, the Root of David, has conquered, so that he can open the scroll and its seven seals
Sovereign Lord, holy and true
For the Lamb in the midst of the throne will be their shepherd,and he will guide them to springs of living water,and God will wipe away every tear from their eyes
him who lives forever and ever, who created heaven and what is in it, the earth and what is in it, and the sea and what is in it, that there would be no more delay,
We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty,who is and who was,for you have taken your great power and begun to reign.

And they sing the song of Moses, the servant of God, and the song of the Lamb, saying,“Great and amazing are your deeds,O Lord God the Almighty!Just and true are your ways,O King of the nations! Who will not fear, O Lord,and glorify your name?For you alone are holy.All nations will come and worship you,for your righteous acts have been revealed.”

As we get together with our families today and tomorrow, I'm so glad for all these reminders.  I love the fun and wonder of Christmas.  I love seeing our parents and going to church as a family.  I love watching my nephew begin to really enjoy Christmas as he understands all the fun more and more.  But how much more exciting will it be when I am joined together with family--past, present, and future--and friends singing to the Lamb that He alone is Holy and watching as the nations come together to worship Him.  

No comments: