July 9, 2015

Cooking up Memories: Chocolate Sheet Cake

This recipe was gifted to me by David's Aunt Jarla.  She brought this recipe along with 2 of the cake pans she uses to the shower and I've used the pans a lot, but hadn't yet made this cake.  I knew it was one that I would love, but since it probably wouldn't be high on David's list I was waiting for the right time to make it for a group, otherwise I'd end up eating almost an entire cake by myself (and it's so delicious that I probably would have!)

Last night we hosted our first meeting of our new Community Group.  For the last 7 months or so, we've been working with the leaders of our Young Adults group at church, the leaders of our Small Group ministry and several friends as we try to figure out what life "after" the Young Adults group looks like.  Through lots of conversation we decided to start a new Community Group.  We'll rotate between houses, but the first night was at our house and we served dinner.  I thought this cake would be a perfect dessert with our BBQ dinner, and it was.  

I cooked it on Monday night so it was ready to go for this week.  I took lots of pictures of the process this time.

I gathered all of the ingredients for the cake

I melted the butter, cocoa, water, and Crisco together

While that was melting, I stirred together the flour and sugar

Then I added the melted mixture to the flour and sugar

 Included the other ingredients and beat it for 2 minutes in my Kitchenaid

Poured it into the 11x14 pan and baked it for 20 minutes at 350

While the cake was baking, I cleaned up the dishes and then got to work on the Icing

First I sifted the powdered sugar and Cocoa together

When the cake had about 5 minutes left to bake, I started melting the butter and milk for the icing

Once the cake came out and the butter mixture was melted, I added the Cocoa and powdered sugar and vanilla to the icing
Poured it over the cake

Done :)

It was pretty easy to put together and I loved the way it tasted!  I will definitely be making this again!

Chocolate Sheet Cake
Heat oven to 350 degrees
*2 cups Flour *2 cups Sugar *1 stick Butter *4 tablespoons Cocoa *1 cup Water *1/2 cup Crisco *2 Eggs *1/2 cup Buttermilk (or whole milk) {I used whole milk because it's what I had} *1 teaspoon Cinnamon *1 teaspoon Soda *1/4 teaspoon Salt *1 teaspoon Vanilla
-In sauce pan, melt butter, cocoa, water & Crisco
-Add to Flour & Sugar-- add remaining ingredients.
-Beat 2 minutes
Bake in a greased 11x14 pan--20 minutes
Icing **Pour over hot cake**
*1 stick Butter *6 tablespoons Milk *4 tablespoons Cocoa *1 box Powdered Sugar *1 teaspoon Vanilla
-Melt together the butter and milk
-Sift together the cocoa and powdered sugar
-Combine these together and add 1 teaspoon vanilla (1 cup Chopped Pecans, if desired {I don't desire that!})
-Enjoy!

My brother Jeremy's favorite cake is Texas cake and this is very similar to that.  This is also similar to Pioneer Woman's Chocolate Sheet Cake.  One main difference between this cake and those is that there aren't any nuts in the icing (I prefer it without).  But one of the other things that made this cake even better is the teaspoon of cinnamon in the batter.  A few different people commented last night that they could taste that hint of cinnamon and it really went a long way to combine with the chocolate flavors.  Definitely makes this cake one of the best chocolate sheet cakes I've ever had!  I'm so grateful for this recipe that Jarla shared with me--and I can't wait to make this one for years to come!

11 days until our 2nd anniversary... and only 1 more recipe to go!

No comments: