July 27, 2015

Pinterest Cooking: Homemade Ice Cream

So I finished up my year of cooking through the recipes we got for our wedding.  And it was a lot of fun trying new recipes.  There were definitely some that we didn't love, both most of the recipes were really great and I know I will make them time and time again.

It was fun for me to get to try out at least one new recipe each week to mix into our same old same old rotation of meals.  So I decided I wanted to keep trying to make a new recipe each week for the next year too.  This year I'm going to lean on another good friend Pinterest :)  

Over the last few years that I've been on Pinterest I've found a lot of really neat things.  I've found new recipes, craft ideas, home decor, wedding ideas, gift ideas, and cleaning tips.  The thing with pinterest is you just never know how well it's going to turn out.  In fact, that's why there is a whole website of Pinterest Fails (I'm sure there are many sites with these on them!).  I've had friends say that they don't like to cook off of Pinterest recipes because they don't always turn out well.  

I've had pretty good luck with them and I've got over 350+ recipes on my Pinterest Board.  Some of them I have made, but many I haven't.  So I figured this would be a good reminder for me to cook through some of them this year.  One thing I like about it is that I can customize this a little more to how our week is going--If we have lots of busy nights I can find make ahead meals.  If we are going to a dinner with a certain theme, I can find a dish that fits.  I've loved cooking through tried and true recipes of my friends and family, but there were times where it felt like nothing "fit" for that week and I was cooking it because I had to try to make something fit--which usually turned out okay, but I'm looking forward to a little more flexibility.

And I even made a few recipes off Pinterest last week to get the whole thing started!  I have the ice cream maker attachment for my Kitchenaid, but it's been a few years since I've used it.  While we were in our apartment our freezer didn't have enough room to freeze the bowl overnight.  So we had already talked about making some homemade ice cream sometime this summer.

We had a few friends over to swim Friday night and they brought takeout for dinner.  I decided it would be a perfect time to try out some ice cream!  I didn't document the whole thing since I'm just now really deciding to write them up, but here are the two new recipes I tried.

The first was a homemade chocolate ice cream.  I made this one in the morning and then chilled the mixture the rest of the day.  Once we started dinner I put it in my ice cream maker and it froze as we were eating.  It was very rich.  But I thought it had a great consistency and taste.

I also tried out this no churn ice cream recipe.  When I was searching for ice cream recipes on Pinterest, this came up and I thought the no churn aspect sounded interesting.  Instead of making the cookie dough, I used oreos to make a cookies and cream ice cream (Cookies & Cream is David's favorite ice cream flavor) so it was a lot easier.  This one was pretty easy to put together and I made it Friday morning and froze it until it was cold that evening.  We thought it was pretty good.  I could definitely taste the condensed milk in it (one of our friends said it tasted like caramel) but otherwise it was pretty tasty and easy to make for a summer evening treat.

Not much beats homemade ice cream in the middle of July!  I will definitely need to pull out my ice cream maker more often


No comments: