January 23, 2015

Cooking Up Memories: Sour Cream Pound Cake

26 weeks in (halfway through) and I had my first recipe fail of this experiment.  Most of the recipes I've made we have really loved.  In fact there have only been 1 or 2 that I can think of that we thought were just okay.  But this one, was pretty bad (in my opinion--David said it wasn't terrible, just wasn't great).  So bad I had made it take to our International Student Home Group tonight and I made David go buy something different to take.  

I don't know exactly why I don't like it.  Most likely, I messed some part of it up (like the fact that I used a bundt pan instead of a tube pan since I don't have one).  Or it could just be that this recipe didn't come together as well in our kitchen as it did in my friend Becky's.  Whatever the reason, this is not one I loved.  But I thought I'd share the recipe anyway since it's part of the year long cooking project.

This recipe came from my friend Becky and she gave us a whole box of their favorite recipes, so we've had lots of winning recipes from her stash already--this is just one I probably won't make again--especially since I still have 2 other pound cake recipes to make this year, I'm sure I'll find one I like better and that is a little easier, which tends to be better for me!

Sour Cream Pound Cake
*3 cups Sugar *2 sticks Butter *3 cups Flour *6 Eggs (separated) *1 cup Sour Cream *1/4 teaspoon Baking Soda *1 teaspoon Vanilla *1 teaspoon Lemon Extract *1 teaspoon Almond Extract
-Cream butter and sugar-- add 6 egg yolks (beaten)
-Add baking soda to sour cream and add to butter mixture
-Add flour
-Add vanilla, lemon and almond extracts
-Fold in beaten egg whites (6)--beat egg whites until stiff but not dry 
-Flour and grease a tube pan 
Bake at 325 for 1 hour 30 minutes


No comments: