January 1, 2015

Book Review: Fiction

I read a lot of fiction in 2014.  I actually re-read a lot of books that I had read in previous years as well.  A lot of the books were easy reads and some of them were pretty cheesy-but I liked to have a fiction book and a non-fiction book going at the same time so that I still had something to read when I took a "break" from some of the intense non-fiction when I needed to step back and think about it before I moved on.

There were 3 fiction books that really stood out to me this past year.

1. The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
            My Brother bought me the Kindle version of this book last Christmas so it was one of the first books I read in 2014.  I have always really loved historical fiction.  Even when I was younger, historical fiction books were some of my favorites.  And World War II is fascinating to me.  So this book was a good read for me.  It is written from the perspective of death and follows one little girl's life placed with a German family when her mother couldn't care for her.  She meets a few friends along the way and the family she stays with hides a Jewish man in their basement for much of the book.  It is interesting to see the world of Nazi Germany from the eyes of a young girl.  Definitely a great read

2. Firefly Lane by Kristin Hannah
           This book follows the friendship of two girls Kate and Tully from Eighth grade through early Adulthood.  It was fun seeing their relationship change and grow and remembering good times with friends I've had throughout my life.  It was also full of fun cultural references, songs, and entertainment from the 70s, 80s, and 90s.  I really enjoyed reading this story of honest friendship.  There was a sequel called Fly Away that was also good.

3. Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty
        I learned about Liane Moriarty's books through several blogs that I read.  Lots of people were raving about both The Husband's Secret and What Alice Forgot.  I liked both of those books pretty well, but I really loved Big Little Lies.  It is about a group of Kindergarten parents and their drama and fun throughout the year.  All of her books also have some mystery to them as you wait to see what happens and I thought the way she wrote this mystery of who died and how was really fun.  

No comments: