November 25, 2014

Cooking Up Memories: Sour Cream Coffee Cake

Thanksgiving is of course the time when food and memories come together so much, so this week I had to make a tried and true favorite recipe that is special to me.


 My sisters-in-law threw my kitchen shower before David and I got married and they sent out recipe cards with the invitations so I got back several treasured recipes from family, but this is one I treasure the most.  My grandmother passed away in 2005 about 6 months after my brother and sister-in-law were married.  So my sister-in-law had the recipe cards my grandmother gave her at her shower and she had her mom copy them onto some of my recipe cards so that I have a few of my grandmother's recipes in her handwriting--which is such a special thing for me to have.

This recipe is a favorite of mine and brings back lots of memories around my grandmother's table--in fact I've even made (and blogged about) this recipe before, but I had to try it again this week.  The majority of the Thanksgivings in my life have been spent at my grandparents' house in Palestine.  My family would sometimes drive down on Thursday, but a lot of times we went Wednesday night and stayed with them for the night.  So in the morning when we woke up my grandma would have breakfast for us and this coffee cake was always a part of that.  While I love lots of different kinds of Thanksgiving foods, this is actually one of the only foods I want to eat every Thanksgiving because it brings back memories for me in ways that turkey and stuffing and potatoes don't.

I am off for the rest of this week, so I decided what better way to kick it off than to make some coffee cake for us to have this Thanksgiving week?

 So I gathered all of my ingredients.  
 I used my Kitchenaid to mix all of the ingredients for the batter.  And a separate bowl for the topping.
One of the yummiest parts of this coffee cake is that there is a layer of the cinnamon/sugar topping in the middle.  So you put down half the batter then spread a layer of topping and then spread the other half of the batter over it.  This is also one of the most difficult things!  The first time I ever made this completely on my own I was in college and when I got to this step I actually called my mom because it wasn't spreading into a nice layer--and she assured me that hers rarely ever did either but it ends up still tasting great--and she was right!

Delicious Coffee Cake fresh from the oven.  It doesn't look as pretty as my grandma's ever did, but it usually still tastes good.  Can't wait to dig in for breakfasts this week.

Sour Cream Coffee Cake
*1 Cup Oleo~~ *1 Cup Sugar *1 teaspoon Vanilla *2 Eggs *1 cup Sour Cream *2 cups Flour *1 teaspoon Baking Soda *1 teaspoon Baking Powder *1/2 teaspoon salt
-Cream sugar and oleo
-Beat eggs one at a time and add
-Add vanilla and beat well
-Add dry ingredients and sour cream
Topping:
*1/3 cup Brown Sugar *1 cup Granulated Sugar *1 teaspoon Cinnamon *1/2 cup Nuts
-Mix these ingredients in a separate bowl
-Spread 1/2 of the batter in a 9x13 greased pan and sprinkle with 1/2 of topping.  Add rest of batter and remainder of topping and bake 35 min at 350 degrees.

~~While we're "cooking up memories" I just have to tell a story about oleo.  My middle brother, Nick, was a very picky eater as a child.  He would gag himself if he didn't like something and refused to eat it.  One of the things Nick didn't like was butter.  So the story goes that one day we were at my grandma's house and she offered Nick some oleo on something and he ate it and went on and on about how he liked it until my other brother told him he was eating butter and then Nick had to start spitting it out.  So just a little PSA--Oleo is Margarine, so don't eat it if you don't like butter~~

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: