March 14, 2015

Cooking up Memories: Pesto & Pepperoni French Bread Pizza

I've felt very busy this week.  We were running around a lot and finding dinners at the last minute, so Thursday morning I decided to find one of my recipes to make for dinner.  I texted David the two options that day and he chose this french bread pizza.  So I went to the store after work.  Unfortunately, while I was grocery shopping the power at the store went down, so it ended up making the shopping trip a lot crazier.  And by the time I was done at the store I was so exhausted that I opted for us to pick up dinner instead (aka I was being really lazy).  

If I had known how simple this meal would be I would have made it anyway!  But instead I tucked away the recipe, knowing we'd have time to eat it this weekend.  Today we ended up being gone all day.  We went out to Fossil Rim with our friends Lucas and Yali and had a lot of fun.  We got home with about an hour before I need to leave to go to my next event for the day, but I was determined to make this tonight for dinner.  And I'm so glad I did!

This was very quick and easy to put together.  Our friends Lucas and Yali came in after we got back to charge their phones before heading out to a dancing class and I was able to put all of this together before they were even ready to go again.  Yali commented on how little time it took to get it in the oven.  This definitely rivals the Impossible Pumpkin Pie for the easiest recipe yet, and it probably wins because it only has to cook for 6 minutes--so from the time I set foot in my kitchen to start it to the time we could eat was no more than 15 minutes.  And because of the fresh ingredients and the pesto, it feels a little fancier than normal pizza so I'd have no qualms about serving this if we had people over for dinner.  Definitely one we will come back to on crazy weeks

Pesto & Pepperoni French  Bread Pizza
*1 8 ounce loaf French Bread, Split *2 tablespoons Prepared Pesto *2 Plum Tomatoes, diced *1/2 cup shredded Mozarella *Pepperoni Slices *2 tablespoons Chopped Basil
-Preheat broiler
-Line baking sheet with foil
-Pull out some of the soft center from each piece of the bread
-Place bread halves, cut side up, on prepared pan
-Spread pesto on each piece--amount of pesto is a matter of personal taste {I think I used way more than 2 tablespoons--I just spread a bunch out until I covered the bread}
-Top each evenly with tomatoes, pepperoni & mozzarella
-Broil pizzas 6 inches from heat until topping is hot and cheese is melted, about 6 minutes {This was the first time I've used the broiler at our house, so I'm still figuring out the settings--the edges of mine got burnt, but the rest was perfect after 6 minutes}
-Sprinkle each with basil and cut crosswise in half to make a total of 4 pizzas
-Serve at once




No comments: