November 27, 2013

My Favorite Thanksgiving Dessert


We were having a conversation the other day where someone asked what our favorite thanksgiving food is. I love sweet potatoes and cornbread dressing and lots of thanksgiving foods. But when asked what my favorite dessert on thanksgiving is, it's not a typical food. 

I love pumpkin and spice cakes and even pies but every Thanksgiving the dessert I look forward to most is Chocolate Eclair Pie. 

My mom has made this dessert for Thanksgiving (and other times of year) for as long as I can remember.  When my cousins were little they used to ask if Aunt Barbara was bringing "that chocolate stuff"

So when my mom asked today if I thought we should make chocolate eclair to take tomorrow I said of course. 

And I set to work making it. So here's the recipe if you want to check it out. (I do realize it doesn't look amazing, but it tastes wonderful to me!) 

Ingredients:
*Graham Crackers- halved (we use about 2:3 of a box)
*2 pckgs instant French vanilla pudding
*3.5 Cups milk
*1- 8 oz container Cool Whip

- Mix pudding and milk and beat until thickened. Fold in cool whip
-Line a 9x13 pan with graham crackers. Pour half the pudding mixture over the crackers. Add another layer of graham crackers and top with remaining pudding mixture. 

**Chocolate Topping**
Ingredients:
*3 squares of chocolate
*4 tablespoons butter
*3 tablespoons white Karo syrup
*5 tablespoons of milk
*1.5 teaspoons of vanilla 
*2.25 cups of powdered sugar

-Melt chocolate and butter on stove top
-Stir in Karo syrup, milk, vanilla and powdered sugar
-spread over top of "pie"
-refrigerate for several hours (best if refrigerated overnight)

To me the mix of flavors is perfect, although some say it's too sweet :)




The recipe originally came to our family from a church cookbook. As you can see it's been referred to many times over the years!

No comments: