October 1, 2015

Pinterest Cooking: Pot Roast & Chicken

Last night we had our monthly Community Group Dinner.  Our group meets every week and we've decided, for right now, to have dinner together on the last week of each month.  For September that was at our house, and since we were hosting right at the beginning of the start to Fall, I decided to try to find a "fall" dish to make.

I decided a Pot Roast would be a good dish that would serve our group and set out to find a good recipe.  I pinned several on Pinterest and when I pinned this one for Mississippi Roast, I had a friend from work comment on it to say that it is the best of all the pot roast recipes she's made and her husband requests it all the time.  I was so excited to have a recommendation of something I'd pinned on Pinterest and decided to go with this recipe.  I thought it turned out really well and it was delicious.  I doubled the recipe since we were serving a big group and for the liquid, I used half water and half juice from the jar of peppers per my friend's recommendation.  This will definitely be one I make again--probably several times this fall.  It was SO easy and tasty.

I also decided to make a chicken dish, so I decided on this Crockpot Chicken with Apple and Sweet Potato for a Fall dish.  I love sweet potatoes, so I've been wanting to make this for a while.  It smelled delicious while it was cooking.  The flavor was okay, but not my favorite chicken--I may have to experiment more with it to get it just right.

One of the best things about this dinner was that they cooked all day and were pretty much ready to go when I got home. 

  I started both meals in the crockpot before I left for work yesterday morning (yes 6:06 a.m. is when I left for work!).  Luckily, David worked from home yesterday to be here for an installation that we had, so he was able to switch the smaller crockpot from Low to Warm after 8 hours.  I only have one crockpot with a timer and that held the Pot Roast, so I was glad he could keep an eye on the other one for me.

 When I got home, I moved them to serving dishes and shredded the pot roast.  Our friends all brought side dishes and we had a great dinner together. 

 So fun gathering around the table together to share food and life.  Love this community of friends the Lord has gifted us with!



No comments: