January 1, 2009

Welcoming 2009 with One Little Word

Can you identify a single word that sums up what you want for yourself in 2009?

It can be something tangible or intangible. It could be a thought or a feeling or an emotion. It can be singular or plural. The key is to find something that has personal meaning for you. This is not your mother's word or your spouse's word or your child's word - this is YOUR word.

One little word can have big meaning in your life if you allow yourself to be open to the possibilities. And here's one thing that is totally interesting: sometimes a word will pop into your brain and it will not make any sense to you right now. Give it some time. Let it percolate a bit. I have often found that our hearts speak to us in very unique ways. Maybe this is a word you need to hear but just aren't ready for it yet. Again, be open to the possibilities
From http://aliedwards.typepad.com/

I had read about this idea--to pick a word for the year-- about a month ago and it really got me to thinking. But I had pushed it to the back of my mind and hadn't really thought much about it since. Then this morning I was taking Allie for a walk and listening to some of my music and one of the songs came on. It's a song that someone sent to me when I was freshman at Baylor, but one that has stuck with me through the years and meant a lot to me. And at that moment I remembered the word of the year and it just felt right...

This year, I want to surrender

After I got this word in my head I of course wanted to look up the true meaning, but found that they all seem so negative! But I think the one that best describes what I want for myself is
to give oneself up, as into the power of another; submit or yield.
Surrendering is something that God has been trying to teach me for quite a while. But it's something that I am slowly getting to a place where I am ready to surrender more and more so that He might be made greater in my life.

So in 2009 I want to live a life of surrender.
Surrendered to God's plan for my life and His call for my service

Surrendered to the future He has planned for me and not the one I come up with on my own

Surrendered to the present and this moment instead of always living in the future

Surrendered to the roles I am playing right now instead of complaining about the difficulties at work or always looking for something more

Surrendered to a life of abandon--where I will take chances and live

Surrendering my self-doubt, fear of embarrassment and feelings of inadequacy to be replaced by His truth and His love living in me

Surrendering my hold on the things I keep my hand closed on--all of the things I don't even realize that I am holding on to but I know will be revealed to me as I seek this out

I know that the very best place I could be is living a life completely abandoned to Him and I hope that somehow focusing on surrender this year will bring me even closer to my Jesus. Welcome 2009--I know it's going to be a great one!



My hands hold safely to my dreams
Clutching tightly not one has fallen
So many years I've shaped each one
Reflecting my heart showing who I am
Now you're asking me to show
What I'm holding oh so tightly
Can't open my hands can't let go
Does it matter?
Should I show you?
Can't you let me go?

Surrender, surrender you whisper gently
You say I will be free
I know but can't you see?
My dreams are me. My dreams are me

You say you have a plan for me
And that you want the best for my life
Told me the world had yet to see
What you can do with one
That's committed to Your calling
I know of course what I should do
That I can't hold these dreams forever
If I give them now to You
Will You take them away forever?
Or can I dream again?

Surrender, surrender You whisper gently
...
Barlow Girl's Surrender

No comments: