December 23, 2008

A Time to Remember


Christmas is always such a great time of year. I love getting to spend time with my family baking and relaxing. I love getting to be off work for a few days just hanging out with everyone. I love the decorations that are up and the lights and the cold weather! But it's also a time to remember.

Even though this will be our 9th Christmas without my dad, I still find myself remembering all the times of Christmases past with him. This picture was taken during one of our family Christmases at my Grandparents' house (my brothers and I each got these big stuffed dogs and we had them around our house for a very long time!). Some of my best memories of my dad are from Christmases in the past. Every year on Christmas morning I would wake up early from the anticipation and go to the family room where he would already be waiting. I would look in my stocking and he would show me what was in his. And we would sit together, just the two of us, and spend time together until everyone else got up a few hours later.

I remember one Christmas morning in particular where my dad had bought my mom a nice diamond necklace. He was so excited to give it to her and was trying to find the perfect way to present it. He came up with this plan to hang the Zales bag on the tree and see if she noticed. He was just so excited plotting to see what she would notice and to try to make it special for her.

As time has gone on, Christmas has changed. We once again have 5 stockings on our fireplace since a sister was added to the family 4 years ago when my brother got married! And life is once again filled with laughter and love and games. Life goes on even when you think it never will, but it's times like these that I like to look back and remember. Remember special moments with my daddy when we were able to sit quietly and just enjoy each others company. And even though things are not the same, I know he is celebrating Christmas in a much better place and waiting for us to join him someday at the greatest celebration.

Until then I'll cherish these memories and enjoy the time I have with my mom and brothers and sister-in-law!

1 comment:

Nicki said...

Love this picture, and loved reading about your memories! Merry Christmas!!!!