March 31, 2018

A Weekend for Celebrating

We've known since Cooper was born that his first birthday would be on Easter.  When we were waiting for him to make his arrival last year and wondering what day he would come, we looked up Easter dates for the next 5 years or so since we knew he'd most likely be born during the Easter season.  I don't even remember any of the other Easter dates, but I remember we thought it was funny that Easter would be on April Fool's Day this year since neither of us remembered that happening in our lives.  So when Cooper decided to fool us all by being an April baby and being smaller than the doctors kept saying, we also knew his first birthday would be on Easter.

Our Easters are usually pretty busy.  We always spend Easter with my family and every year, until last year, we've gone to our church's Easter service and then gone to my mom's church for their Easter service, followed by lunch and egg hunts and hanging out with family for the day.  This year we're going to have a little breakfast at home for our birthday boy before meeting up with my family for church and Easter festivities.  Obviously, he has no idea it's his birthday or what that even means, so we'll celebrate him some and celebrate Easter some.

And even though it makes his first birthday day pretty crazy, I've realized how grateful I am that these fall on the same day.  What a great day to remember God's unfailing love for us.  As I hit hard days in parenting, I am so grateful to have His grace to fall on and I am even more grateful that I don't have to do it perfectly and that when I mess up I can point Cooper to the One who is perfect.  As I've been reflecting on Easter and Cooper's birthday this year, it reminds me of the verse in Because He Lives that holds even more meaning these days.

 How sweet to hold 

a newborn baby

and feel the pride

 and joy He gives

But greater still

the calm assurance

This child can face uncertain days because He lives

Thankful for my Risen Savior.  Thankful that in a world of chaos, He is the hope I have and the reason I can raise Cooper without fear.  Not because I am doing such a great job or because he is such a great kid, but because I serve a great God who holds his future.

(I'll have you know, I've made it through the entire week leading up to Cooper's birthday without any tears, but this one did me in as I think about God's goodness toward us--what a sweet thing to remember this weekend and always!)

No comments: