February 21, 2009

Traffic...

After growing up in Dallas and learning to drive on Dallas highways, you would think I'd be somewhat used to the traffic--but I definitely am not! I don't work near downtown and only go to Dallas for Bible Study 2x a week (and those days I am going toward dallas at night, so I am going opposite of traffic for the most part) so I rarely hit much traffic. But in the last few months I have had several incidents that involved long periods of sitting, not moving on the highway.

Today I went to visit my friend Natalie in Denton (a little less than an hour away) and on the drive over I noticed how many cars were on the road, but no big deal. Well, tonight it took me over 2 hours to get home. At one point in my drive it took 45 minutes to go less than 3 miles. Like I said, I rarely deal with traffic, so I need to just get over it--but I have to admit I have a very hard time sitting in traffic.

In fact, I have a very adverse physical reaction--my body gets really tense and I just want to cry or scream. I know that sounds illogical, because neither crying or screaming will move the cars or get me going any quicker, but I just get so stressed out sitting in traffic.

I don't really know why--I think it's a combination of the fact that 1. I don't really like driving in the first place and 2. I spend all day in my car during the week driving to visits for work, so by the time I get off work I don't want to be in my car, so sitting in it longer in traffic is so hard. I am begging the Lord for patience to make it through these moments without getting so upset--trying to remain calm and go with the flow--but tonight I had a hard time.

Sorry to complain... just thought I'd share one of my (many) struggles...

No comments: