April 25, 2014

Recent Projects

I've been spending a lot of time recently making some gifts for a friend.  My best friend from high school is having her first baby this summer, so I wanted to send her a few things.

I was finally feeling comfortable enough with my basic knitting abilities to try for a bigger project, so I started knitting a baby blanket a few months ago.

I started off with this pattern but didn't stick with it completely.  I felt like the pattern made a blanket that was way too small, so I used the pattern, but added more stitches when I cast on--I've done a few different things since then so I don't remember exactly, but I think I almost doubled the number of stitches cast on, making sure to add in multiples of 16 so the pattern wouldn't change.  And then I kept knitting long after the suggested number of rows  until I liked the size.  And I added a blue border to the top and bottom.

I also used the left over yarn to make a matching hat (mainly blue with an orange stripe).  I used this basic pattern for the hat and I didn't take a picture of it, but there's a picture of all of the finished projects at the bottom

When I was almost done with knitting the blanket, I decided that I really wanted to learn to quilt.  It's something I've wanted to do for a while and since I got a sewing machine for Christmas from Mama Reed, I decided I'd try my hand at it.  I had seen ideas on Pinterest to use parts of a Bridesmaid Dress and make a quilt, so I started there. 

 The bright orange (like the very top left square) patches are from my Bridesmaid dress from Seth&Lara's wedding 4 years ago.  And then I tried to find other coordinating, fun prints that also matched the colors Lara had chosen for their nursery.  Above is all of the squares after I cut them out and had laid out the pattern but before I sewed anything.

I followed this series of blog tutorials called the Beginning Quilting Series that walk through all aspects of quilting from what supplies you need, to how best to cut fabric and lay out a pattern, sewing it together, quilting and binding.  It was very helpful!

 I messed up quite a few times and my quilt didn't end up with all the squares perfect, but I was still happy with the way it turned out and hope my friends will be too


Lara got all of the stuff in the mail yesterday and posted this picture of it all together.  I hope it's a blessing to Her and to sweet Watson on the way!


No comments: