April 15, 2014

Recipe Favorite: Enchilada Casserole

So I saw this recipe a few weeks ago and it sounded like something I wanted to try.  We had a new friend over for dinner at the end of March, so we made it that night and we all really liked.  So I made it again this past week to take it to our friends Jon and Sami since they just had a new baby and I thought I'd share it here.

 My new manual food processor is wonderful for recipes like this that call for chopping up onions and peppers.  It helps make them really small with very little work on my part :)

Then you just cook the meat with the onions and peppers.  Once the meat is cooked your add garlic powder and cream cheese (doesn't cream cheese make everything better?) and cook until it's all smooth and mixed together.  And I love my cast iron skillet for meals like this
 Then it's just a matter of layering tortillas (with enchilada sauce) meat mixture and cheese a few times and baking it.  It's a pretty simple dish, but we thought it was delicious

I've been calling it Enchilada Casserole, but when I finally went and found the original source they actually call it Enchilada Lasagna--either way it's wonderful :)  It will definitely become a regular meal around our house

Ingredients
  • 1 lb Lean Ground Beef
  • 1 Onion- Chopped
  • 1 Green Pepper- Chopped
  • 1 Red Pepper- Chopper
  • 8 oz Cream Cheese- Cubed
  • 1 t Garlic Powder
  • 10 oz Enchilada Sauce
  • 6 Eight Inch Tortillas (Corn or Flour)
  • 1 Cup 2 % Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Instructions
  1. Brown ground beef with onion and peppers until cooked through.
  2. Drain and stir in cream cheese and garlic powder.
  3. Pour enchilada sauce into a bowl and dip 2 tortillas in sauce and put in the bottom of a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
  4. Spread half of the meat mixture over the top of the tortillas and sprinkle with 1/3 cup of the cheese.
  5. Layer another layer of tortillas, meat and cheese.
  6. Top with tortillas and cheese.
  7. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes

No comments: