March 16, 2014

Austin Weekend

This past weekend I headed to Austin to visit Nicki.  I hadn't been down since Nicki and Mathis bought their house last summer, so a trip to visit was overdue.  Since it was Nicki's Spring Break, I invited myself to come celebrate with her.

I always love driving down 35 and getting to see one of my favorite places ever.  It's been even more fun in the last year since Baylor started construction on their new stadium, so I had to snap a few pictures 

 (also pictured is my new Dr Pepper in honor of the ending of the Floyd Casey era that Nicki gave me!  I think I found a nice place to display it in our apartment.)

 Friday we headed downtown to do a little shopping and exploring.  We went to the TOMs store that had just opened--it was a really fun atmosphere.  After lunch and a walk, we met up with Mathis at the Craft Fair downtown.  Nicki and Mathis got a few fun things for their home and his office.  I didn't buy anything, but enjoyed all the fun things there.  

My favorite thing we found, both on the streets of downtown Austin and at the craft fair, were these dinosaur planters
This is a picture I found online, not one I actually took, but these are from the same company featured there the Plaid Pigeon.  It's one of those things that made Nicki and I laugh and think "only in Austin" (Look Nicki, when I was searching for a picture to post, I even found a DIY post of how to make these yourself--just in case you need them for your garden!)

On the way back to their house, they took me by the Moontower Saloon which is a really neat outdoor area that has a bar and food trucks.  We enjoyed the great weather outside and the great scenery before heading home for dinner.

We also had lots of yummy food while I was there
It's become a tradition for Nicki and I to make brownies on our girls' weekends.  And she took me to a really yummy cupcake place downtown

 and a trip to South Texas is never complete without breakfast tacos!

Saturday night we drove to Gruene to meet up with Nicki's parents for dinner at the Gristmill.  It had been cloudy and rainy most of the day, but ended up being a beautiful evening for dinner out there.

 It was such a great weekend catching up and seeing some of Mathis and Nicki's life in Austin.  I'm so grateful for her friendship and how we've been able to continue to visit each other no matter where we are :)


No comments: