August 17, 2009

Praise the One who gives and takes away

9 years ago today my dad passed away after a quick battle with a strong cancer.

There were moments in the last 9 years where I was't sure I would survive...or if I did I would merely live life at rock bottom. Moments where I could never forsee myself being rescued from the pit of my sorrow. That my life might never recover...

but at some point in the last 9 years I was rescued again by the One who turns my mourning into songs of praise.

In the last 9 years on this date I have: started my Senior year of High School, Moved into a dorm at Baylor, and moved into my first ever apartment

trading my sorrows for the joy of the Lord

A few weeks ago I was getting some paperwork done and I was looking over my caseload to see upcoming 3rd birthdays (when we dismiss a child and they transition to other services) and I realized I have 2 kids who turn 3 today. Not only that but I have another child who turns 2 today. So I have 3 kids...all unrelated... with birthdays today. May not seem like too big of a deal until I realized that with the exception of the twins on my caseload, I don't have a single repeated birthday other than today

Coincidence? Definitely not.... Just a reminder to me that God is faithful. That His promises are true. His mercies are new every morning. He makes beauty from the ashes. And when I need it most, He reminds me that He is still in control, joy remains, hope endures, and life goes on.

So today I am remembering. But moreso I am celebrating. Celebrating the life of my daddy and celebrating my Heavenly Father who knows exactly what I need and meets me exactly where I am, and in His time pulls me out of the muck and the mire, sets my feet on the rock, and puts a new song in my mouth.

2 comments:

erin m said...

Awww...sweet friend, this is a beautiful post! I am rejoicing with you in all that God has done. I am so blessed to have you in my life, and I hope you are encouraged this week. Love you!

Nicki said...

I meant to comment on this yesterday, but like Erin I rejoice in all that the Lord has done in your life! I love you so much... I really cannot imagine my life without you in it.