July 29, 2009

Cooking Inspiration


For me there is no better way to relax than to curl up with a good book. So I spent a lot of my vacation this past weekend reading. One of the books I just finished is Julie & Julia which is being made into a movie that comes out soon. It's about a woman who decides to cook through Julia Childs' cookbook in 1 year and blog about it. It was different than most books I read and kind of slow to get started, but I really enjoyed it!

Of course I also am a huge fan of cooking blogs and one of my favorite things to do is follow other people's recipe blogs and find new things to make! (of course, I prefer baking to cooking, so most of things I look for are yummy desserts like the ones from Bakerella!). So this book also interested me from that point because it was just her adventures and mess ups in the kitchen and continuing to cook even when everything is a mess (and uh, I tend to make a mess in the kitchen!)

So while reading all of this it really made me want to cook. I have been on a quest all summer looking for various recipes to make and I have whole collection to try and yet somehow still eat Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches for every meal...

But the more I thought about the cooking, the more I realized that I need inspiration (as if a hundred cooking blogs and a book aren't enough inspiration?) and want I really want is an apron. Now I love to bake, so how I have gotten by this far in life without an apron is beyond me (although when I told Mama Reed this weekend that I really want an apron her response was "why?" as if that is a trivial thing... haha)

So now I have been on the search for the perfect apron (although Mama Reed also pointed out that they are "very easy to make" and I shouldn't waste my money buying one) and my current favorite is:
Why? Because it's pink and brown and just really fun! But for now I will keep looking and may even consider making one as Mama suggested!

And I was inspired because I did have something other than PB&J for dinner tonight! I made a turkey tenderloin and mashed potatoes! Not the most complicated of meals, but it's something right?

1 comment:

erin m said...

That apron is ADORABLE. If you do decide to make one, I may be asking for some lessons to make one too! :)