January 31, 2018

What's Up Wednesday


Linking up again for What's Up Wednesday

What we're eating this week
A hodge podge of stuff!  Since we're at the end of the month, I am trying to stretch our grocery budget a little, so I went through our freezer and found some things to start meals and then just bought a few things to finish the meals out.  Monday, we had Shrimp with homemade alfredo sauce over zucchini noodles.  David ended up with plans last night, so I made myself a salad and Cooper had meatballs and some fruit.  Options for the rest of the week include a pesto ranch chicken dish, homemade pizza, burgers, and Tuna steaks.

What I'm reminiscing about
I think Cooper has officially nursed for the last time as of last week.  We switched him to mostly formula in November, but I've kept a nursing sessions first thing in the morning and he's gradually been dropping it. By last week he wouldn't even eat for 2 minutes consecutively, so we haven't done it the last few days and he's seemed fine.  It makes me think of all of our super long nursing sessions--they made it difficult to go many places since he didn't eat well anywhere but at home, but they were also sweet time with my baby and they gave me lots of time to listen to podcasts.  Life is definitely faster paced with him now and while it's a lot of fun, I do miss those slower days sometimes!

What I'm loving
Cooper seems to finally have a more consistent schedule these days-- I know it won't stay the same forever, but for the past month he consistently naps for at least an hour each time he naps (I've never been able to count on more than 30 minutes at a nap, even though sometimes he'd nap longer).  This feels like I've gained so much freedom to get things done without constantly feeling like he's going to wake up in the middle of something-- I still obviously can't always finish a project in one nap time, but an hour is way different than 30 minutes, and I'm loving that little bit of consistency in our day!

What we've been up to
Babyproofing!  Because of the layout of our home, it's almost impossible to block of space between our kitchen, living room and dining room--so Cooper pretty much just has a free-for-all there and I have it set up where he is allowed to pretty much get into everything, except for Lily's bowl so that is our constant battle!  But, we did finally put up a gate leading to our hallway so he isn't halfway down the hall when I'm trying to do dishes or cook or something.  So that's helped contain him a little

What I'm dreading
Nothing really.  Cooper and I have gotten into a habit of going on a walk every day the last few weeks while it's been not freezing or raining, so I'm kind of dreading days of rain or cold that I know will come our way, because that walk is so nice for both of us!  But nothing too big coming up.

What I'm working on
After our Advent calendar of Christmas songs, we decided to try to come up with a way to continue the idea throughout the year.  So David and I came up with a list of 48 different hymns and worship songs and we're going through one a week this year (we'll do Christmas songs again at Advent, so we didn't do 52 songs!).  We're planning to try to start a "family devotional" time on Sunday afternoons where we introduce the song along with some short story from one of books.  So I've been working on getting all the lyrics for the songs typed up and coming up with what we'll use for our devotionals for each one.  This week we are singing through "What a friend we have in Jesus" and I love what a beautiful reminder it is for me too!

What I'm excited about
Continuing to get plugged in at our new church and Sunday School class.  David went out last night with a few of the guys in our group and we are enjoying building these new friendships and learning more about this community.  

What I'm watching/reading
The last couple of books I just finished were not awesome, but I have higher hopes for my 2 current books.

I have had Before the Fall on hold at the library and just got the Kindle version this week.  It was a recommendation from a podcast I listen to and I'm only a few chapters in, but so far it's been interesting.

And I've got a whole list of Parenting books that I want to read.  I went to the library last week looking for another book, but it had just been checked out, so I decided to give this one a try.  So far I think it's got a good perspective and I like the way they explain things, but I've still got a ways to go in it as well!
And we really haven't been watching a ton of TV, but David and I tune into This is Us every week together and are anxiously awaiting the new episode after the Super Bowl!

What I'm listening to
Still lots of Podcasts.  I actually have more podcasts right now than I can get through each week (especially since we've dropped our long nursing sessions as I mentioned).  Cooper and I are also listening to the Bible every morning over breakfast.  Erin and her babies listened to the chronological Bible last year and I loved that idea, so we are going through a Chronological Bible Reading plan on the ESV app.  Cooper and I have also been listening to the Ask me Whoo Volume 1 Album on Amazon Music (yay for free music!).  It was recommended by a podcast I listen to and it's got catechisms set to music for kids--so it goes through questions such as Who made you? and What did God make?  It's been good background music while we play!

What I'm wearing
I pretty much wear sweat pants and a t-shirt every day since we're just around the house and then we go for a walk.  I have a few dresses and leggings I throw in the mix for church or other events.  And I just ordered a new black Lularoe dress that I am excited to get and wear sometimes!  But, home with Cooper pretty much means I stay comfy and in clothes that allow me to chase him around all day!

What I'm doing this weekend
Going with a friend to start her baby registry!  Church and our new Sunday School class Sunday morning and a Super Bowl Party with our Community Group Sunday night.  And time with my two boys in between!

What I'm looking forward to next month
My friend Nicki is coming to town from Austin for a weekend and I'm looking forward to seeing her and letting our little guys meet each other!

What else is new
It feels like a lot and nothing at all right now.  The change in church and community is huge, but I've already mentioned that.  Otherwise we're just continuing to enjoy life with Cooper!  Speaking of--he just woke up from his nap so I'm off to get him a bottle and run some errands!  Happy Wednesday!

No comments: