January 16, 2018

Dining Room Update

Our dining room has gone through lots of different decorations over the years.  It started with a china cabinet, our bar top table with 8 chairs, and some of our decorations from our Chinese friends.  When we had our foster kids, we moved the china cabinet to a different corner and added a small table for the kids to sit at.  The room holds seasonal decor in the Fall and at Christmas time.  This past summer we exchanged our 8 top table for a farmhouse table to make it easier for Cooper to join us for meals.  

Since then, I've struggled with what to put on the walls.  Our china cabinet has remained in a corner near our living room, so the wall behind the table is completely open.  We've debated trying to put some of our toys/playroom in the dining room, so I wasn't sure exactly where the table would end up which has made it hard to decorate.  This Christmas we put several things up on the wall behind the table, so once we took it all down I was ready to decorate.  So we situated the table (and decided not to move any toys in there for now) and I got to work pinteresting and creating!  And this was the final result: 

I'm really happy with it!  


1. I made a sign with our Family Mission Statement on it



4. "Gather Together & Give Thanks" sign that I bought from Hobby Lobby.  This is actually the only thing I spent money on for this wall (woohoo!) I bought it on sale a few months ago and became the center piece for planning the decorations.

5. I love you like Biscuits and Gravy Printable  This one does not necessarily fit in with the theme of everything else, but David loves biscuits and gravy and I'd seen a sign like this at The Pioneer Woman Lodge and he thought it was funny when I sent it to him, so it seemed appropriate to include something like this




7. "Say Yes. Love Big. No Regrets" sign that our friend Laura bought for us when we started foster care.  

It's been fun coming up with the decor for our dining room.  And I love that 4 of the 7 things are prints in frames, so they can easily be changed out when I feel like we need something different!  Right now they are all good reminders as we gather around our table together for dinner (and Cooper and I gather around the table at least one other time a day and I know that will be increasing!).  

On the opposite wall, we added some organization:

I found this table on Zulily and I love it!  Then I searched for other racks, or storage to hang on the wall.  I looked at lots of options and then this cubby storage shelf came up on the Facebook Marketplace and it seemed to fit perfectly.  So we keep keys and Lily's leash in there.  I also put up some command hooks so we can hang jackets and bags to keep the areas somewhat organized.  And our china cabinet lives in the corner there too.  

So that's how it's set up for now.  I'm sure it'll change and adapt as Cooper grows and we figure out the best configuration for us--but right now it's functional and I think it's fun!

No comments: