September 26, 2017

Reverse Bucket List

Momfessionals, one of the blogs that I follow, hosts a regular Show and Tell Tuesday with different themes and today's topic is a Reverse Bucket List.  I've thought about writing something like this for a long time, so I thought it would be fun to link up with her and think through some things that I've already done in my life.  {Just a warning, this turned into a pretty long post!  Once I started reflecting I couldn't stop}

Getting Married
Marrying this guy is definitely top of the list.  I've always dreamed of getting married and though at times it was hard to wait for it to happen, I am so grateful for the way God brought David and I together at the right time.  Life with this man of mine is so much better than I ever could have imagined and he is so much more than I ever could have planned for myself.

Becoming a Mom

This boy has very quickly stolen my heart.  I've always wanted to be a mom.  It was really all I ever thought about and dreamed about.  And this guy is my dream come true.  My days with him are the very best.  Watching him grow and learn new things is so much fun.  

Being a Foster Parent
This was really my first taste of being a mom.  Even though it was a hard season, being a foster parent was something I had thought about, prayed about and planned for for a long time.  It was something that I always saw as being a part of my life somehow.  And I am grateful for the opportunity we had to be foster parents to our 2 kids.  I learned so much about myself and God in that time.  And it's something I definitely still have a heart for. 

Buying a House
Buying a house kid of got lost in the shuffle of the other dreams I had--but I am so glad that we bought this house when we did.  We frequently talk about all of its imperfections, but I'm thankful for where we live.  And I'm thankful for this house that we get to call ours and we get to build our family in.

Going to Hawaii
 I don't have any pictures of this trip, but it was definitely a once in a lifetime experience.  My family went when I was in High School and it was so fun exploring the beaches and the mountains.  There is so much beauty in Hawaii and I'm so thankful I got to go.

Graduating College
Going to Baylor was a dream of mine and I am so thankful for my time there.  I grew so much there and learned so much.  I made lifelong friends.  I found a major that I enjoyed.  I lived "on my own" for the first time.  And I graduated with honors in 3 years--such a big accomplishment for me.

Finding a job in my field and staying there for 8 years
Remember how I said that I always dreamed of being a mom?  So much so that I had trouble picking a major or a career because all I really wanted was to have babies and stay home with them.  I am so glad that God had better plans for  me than I had for myself.  My time at ECI was such a time of growth for me.  I made some amazing friends and learned so much about working in the real world.  I also learned so much from the families I worked with and it gave me perspectives and passions that I may not ever have had were it not for my time working with babies with special needs.  I am so grateful for my time there and all that I learned.  And for a job that I stayed with for so long!

Traveling to Boston
I have traveled to lots of fun big cities--Chicago, New York, DC--but for some reason I had always dreamed of seeing Boston.  Our trip to the Northeast was such a great experience!

Maintaining Friendships for over a Decade
I've had various groups of friends over the years and they come and go with different seasons of life.  I am so grateful to have made some friendships that have endured for over a decade now.  I met both Nicki and Erin my Freshman year at Baylor.  And I am beyond thankful that I still get to do life with both of them (whether in person or over the phone).  I am so blessed by friends who have known me for so long and continue to love me well.

Going on a Cruise
I had always wanted to try out a cruise and had so much fun on the one we did a few years ago!  I'm not sure it's my favorite way to vacation, but I'm glad I did it once.

Getting a Dog
We begged for a dog when we were growing up.  We actually had a dog who died when I was 3 and my parents didn't want to get another one, despite all of our pleas.  So when I got my first grown up job and apartment, a dog was one of the first things I wanted.   I had 3.5 years with sweet (and crazy) Allie and I've had 6 years with Lily.  Both of them have brought so much fun, snuggles, and laughter into my life!



Baking with my Kitchenaid Mixer
I've always really loved to bake.  So getting a Kitchenaid mixer a few years ago was really a dream come true.  And I love all the things I can make with it.

Going on a Hiking Trip
This was one of the hardest things I've ever done.  And even though I didn't get to peak the Mountain, I'm thankful for the experience of a backpacking trip in the mountains and the friends who were beside me through it all.

Going on Mission Trips in other Countries

The opportunities to visit other countries and support the missionaries there has had a big impact on me.  In college, I spent a week in Venezuela doing neighborhood children's ministry.  And a few years ago I traveled to Nicaragua to work with One by One.  Both experiences have been eye opening and I'm grateful for those times.


Volunteering with the Youth Group
I had some wonderful role models who worked with my youth group when I was in High School, so I am grateful that I had the opportunity to give back by serving the youth group at the church I grew up at for a few years.  I learned so much and laughed so much during my time with them and I love watching all that they are doing in the world now as most of them are in college and beyond.

Making International Friends
 This is one thing that I never would have thought to put on a bucket list, but it has been one of the most life changing things for me.  When I first signed up for an International Friendship Partner 6 years ago, I had no idea what that would look like.  It has shaped so many of my friendships, my ministries, my Friday nights, and my marriage.  I am thankful that David and I were able to serve together in ICF for the first few years of our marriage.  These friends pictures here are all still a huge part of our lives--even the one who has moved back to China, but still checks on us and Cooper frequently.  They have opened my eyes to a whole different world and I am so thankful for these friends.  I signed up to minister to them, but have learned so much by living life alongside them.


Finishing a Quilt (and other Homemade Presents)
I have always wanted to quilt, so finishing a quilt was a huge accomplishment for me!  I made this quilt for my friend Lara when she had her baby Watson a few years ago.  And I am so proud of it, even though it is far from perfect!  I've also loved learning to knit and sew and all of the fun homemade presents I've been able to give.

Teaching ESL
This is another thing I never planned to do, but it just felt right and I am so grateful for the experience.  Seeing these students work so hard to learn English so they can make a better life for their families was so inspiring.  This is one ministry that I hope to be able to get back to soon and I hope to be able to include Cooper in it as well!  It was amazing to see how God had placed so many things in my life to lead me to this.  My experience working with families, teaching preschool, and working International Students all combined into this one class.  So amazing.


I know there are a lot of other things that probably should be on this list, but this was what I could come up with during Coop's naptime today.  As I blogged last about The Church of the Small Things and all that I'm learning about the impact of small moments, I'm also very thankful for the big moments in my life that have gotten me to where I am today.  What an opportunity to see God's hand at work in my life over the years!



No comments: