July 28, 2016

Backyard Yahtzee


Last summer, I made Backyard Scrabble tiles and this year I made us a giant Yahtzee set!  In the past few months, we've had work done on our fence and on our pool pump and through all of that, we ended up with a pile of extra fence posts in our yard.  When we were getting our yard ready to have people over on the 4th, I mentioned moving the posts and David said he'd put them out for bulk trash.  I quickly told him that I could find a way to use them and asked that he put them in the side yard.

So David piled the old fence posts in the side yard and I got to work searching Pinterest for fence post crafts.  I found lots of ideas--and will probably use more of them soon-- but one of the ones I knew I immediately wanted to do was made dice for a Yahtzee set.  I had wanted to do this last year, but didn't ever buy the wood.  My mom got David an electric saw for Christmas, so I pretty much had everything I needed to get this going.

I cut 5 cubes out of the post and then sanded them down with a sanding block.  They could definitely use some more sanding, but for now they work just fine.  Then I used a round sponge brush and white paint and painted the dots on.  I lined up all the cubes and painted each number on all of the cubes and then turned them and painted the next number--I even got a dice out so I could make sure the pattern lined up and the numbers were in the correct places relative to each other.

I grabbed this teal laundry basket for less than a dollar at Walmart and it has been the perfect way to store the dice and even to roll them when we play.  Last week I picked up a white board on sale at Hobby Lobby.  I used a Permanent Marker to make the score board and then we can use dry erase markers for the score.

This was an easy, quick, and fairly inexpensive project, and I'm looking forward to using it!

No comments: