September 11, 2010

Pies in a Jar follow up


So I had people ask me to let them know how the Pies in a Jar turned out. I finally baked one today and it is WONDERFUL! I baked one of the cherry pies and am currently eating it along with a mug of vanilla ice cream (yes I realize that is a Christmas mug and it's September... but I don't drink coffee so the only mugs I own are Christmas mugs).

I baked it at 375 for 50 minutes and it is perfect. I took it straight from the freezer (took the lid off) and put it on a cookie sheet in the preheated oven. So yummy!!

And I also decided to try out some 4 oz jars... so earlier today I made some pumpkin pies and blueberry pies. These ones are very little, but the jars were much easier to line with pie crust (since I haven't been able to find the 8 oz jars that are short and squatty) and I think 4 oz is a perfect individual size! :) Just thought I'd experiment a little with different sizes, but here are today's goodies:

I will admit that pie is probably not my favorite dessert... I would rather have cake usually. But I think these are sooooo cute and would make fun gifts. And on cold nights (which I am dreaming of today with our 103 degree heat index!) there is something wonderful about a warm dessert... especially one you wouldn't have to make up if you keep these stored in the freezer.

So for all who asked: the pies turned out GREAT! :) As I eat and share more of them, I'll let you know if any of the fruits or recipes don't work out as well as others!

1 comment:

Nicki said...

103? I cannot even imagine. We've been in the 50s all day. LOVE these pies!!!