July 5, 2010

Summer Simple Pleasures

So even though summertime in the grown-up world is a little different, summer is still definitely in the air! There are so many things I love about this time of the year (which is probably good... because it is so hot you just want to die, so there better be some redeeming qualities!)

Here are a few of my favorite things about this summer so far:

1. Flip Flops & Pedicures
Flip Flops are without a doubt one of my favorite things ever. I don't know if it goes back to the fact that my feet are messed up, so they are most comfortable in less-structured shoes. Or if it's the ease with which flip flops go on. But I love being able to wear sandals. And I love keeping bright, fun colors on my toenails all season long... it just makes me feel a little prettier!

2. A Different Pace
Even though my schedule doesn't technically change due to summer... it does in a subtle way. All of the families I work with are on summer break, so there is just a more laid-back nature to all of our visits. I love getting to visit at home with my mom's who are teachers that I don't usually get to see. I love the craziness of having all of the siblings home for our visits. I just love the change summer brings to my job.

3. Summer Nights & Long Walks
So I know I talk a lot about walking Allie... but that's because it's one of the most consistent things in my life! And now that it stays light so late, we can go for walks every day, regardless of how late I have to work. We typically leave for our walks around 7:45 and get home right around 9:00. We miss the heat of the day, but are both worn out just in time for bed.

4. Pool Parties
Another fun change that comes with summer now, is the change with the youth I work with. Because they are all on summer break, our schedule changes quite a bit for Sunday School and Youth. We have a more laid-back curriculum and discussion Sunday mornings. And we are spending pretty much every Sunday Night swimming at one of the kids' houses! We have dinner, they swim and then we do a short devotional. It is a great time of fun and fellowship!

5. Ice Cream
Although I am trying to stay away from Ice Cream this summer on my quest to healthier living... I still indulge every once in a while. My sweet friend, Erin, came over this past week and we had dinner and just hung out for the evening. It was so nice catching up, and when she suggested going to Dairy Queen for a Blizzard, I just couldn't pass up that opportunity!! There is nothing better than cold ice cream on a warm summer night!

6. Reading
I love having a more flexible schedule this summer and have been able to spend quite a bit of time reading. I have spent more time devoted to various Bible Studies that I have found. And I also renewed my love for the library and have enjoyed quite a bit of pleasure reading as well!

Oh sweet summertime...

No comments: