March 14, 2019

Pi Day

So our "official" March holiday is Pi day.  We've never really celebrated Pi day, but since we tend to love numbers and we always love pie, it seemed like a good year to start!

When I looked at pie activities for toddlers/preschoolers I only found a few things.  But one of the ones I found was making mud pies.  I figured with a toddler boy that would be a pretty good activity. 
After it rained yesterday I scooped up some of the mud from our flower beds and filled a bucket with it. Then I put it all in a tub with some plastic spoons and forks, disposable pans, and a few kids gardening tools we'd gotten at Chick-fil-A.

Honestly, Cooper wasn't all that interested in it.  He played a little, but much preferred just running around the backyard.  He only played with the dirt for about 5 minutes total.  I had fully intended on this plus a bath being our morning activity, but he didn't need a bath afterward since his play was so mild.  But it was beautiful weather to spend some time outside exploring in the backyard!

I had every intention of making one of our favorite Shepherds Pies (I make it with a mashed cauliflower topping) for dinner tonight.  But we ended up at a last-minute Dr appointment for Cooper this afternoon and I took dinner to a friend who just lost a family member, so by the time we got home to make dinner for us it was getting late.  So we decided to go out for tacos and then come home for pie.
Instead of making pie,  I "cheated" and bought a couple of different single slices of pie from the freezer section at the store.  David's favorite pie is apple pie, but I just made an apple crisp last week for my book club and he got to enjoy that, so we decided to try a few different ones today.  So we had Key Lime and Oreo pie.

Cooper mainly liked eating the whipped cream off of the Key Lime pie.  Which made us a good team because I don't really liked whipped cream. 

I think he was a fan of Pie Day!

I also had plans to do some work/activities based on the number 3 throughout the day, but Cooper wasn't feeling well.  So we basically watched Daniel Tiger most of the day mixed in with our little trip outside to play in the dirt.  Maybe next year we'll add in some more things.  But this was a pretty good start for our first year of Pi Day!

No comments: